THE CLINICAL FRAMEWORK PROVIDES A STANDARD AGAINST WHICH:
- Staff, volunteers and others representing Momentum for Mental Health evaluate their individual and collective decisions and actions.
- Customers can evaluate the services they receive.
- Potential customers can assess to determine if they want to receive services.
- Payors can review to determine if they wish to purchase services.
- The community can evaluate the role of the agency.
- Donors and potential donors can evaluate services and their contribution to individuals, families and the community.
- Everyone can evaluate if the actions and decisions are in support of Momentum’s mission and in concert with its values.
THE CLINICAL FRAMEWORK IS MEANT TO BE BOTH A GUIDE FOR DECISION-MAKING AND A STANDARD AGAINST WHICH MOMENTUM EVALUATES ITS PERFORMANCE. SOME EXAMPLES OF WORK THAT WILL BE MEASURED AGAINST THE CLINICAL FRAMEWORK INCLUDE:
- Development of service plans and goals with individual clients and families.
- Provision of services to clients and families.
- Decision to initiate, design and implement a service.
- Continuous assessment and improvement of services.
- Establishing outcome measures to determine if services are making a difference.
- Participation in community events, activities, initiatives and groups.
- Interactions with payors, donors, regulatory agencies and other members of the community.
- Development of staff training curriculum and implementation of training.
- Implementation of policies and procedures for agency activities.
- Recruitment and selection of staff and volunteers.
BELIEFS ABOUT PEOPLE:
- Every individual is unique. His/Her culture, race, age, developmental status, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, language, spirituality, abilities, strengths, limitations, family, community and personal history/experiences all contribute to this uniqueness.
- Everyone can change.
- Human beings are resilient and naturally seek health.
- Everyone is capable of functioning at higher levels of common sense, well-being and positive motivation.
- Hope is an essential element in making significant positive life changes. Hope is supported by affirmation of dreams and abilities and having someone(s) else demonstrate faith in one’s abilities, strengths and self-worth consistently over time and through all challenges.
- Everyone is responsible for his/her own actions, choices and decisions.
- Everyone is effected/influenced by his/her community. The experience of stigma, discrimination, oppression, disenfranchisement, marginalization, lowered social status, restrictions on choice and self determination, lack of options and low expectations are significant barriers to those with a diagnosis of mental illness or serious emotional disturbance. These experiences encourage an alienated outlook and a self-limiting learned frame of reference.
- Individuals who have a diagnosis of mental illness or serious emotional disturbance can and do recover. They can and do live effective lives, work, raise families, pay taxes and contribute positively to the community. Some do this without complete freedom from symptoms. All do it despite significant societal barriers and inadequate mental health and other community supports.
- Mental illness and serious emotional disturbance are influenced by biological, social, and/or psychological factors. There is no “one” cause, treatment, intervention or outcome.
HOW WE DO OUR WORK:
- Everyone is treated with respect which is characterized by engaging in real communication, being fully present with and genuinely interested in the other person, nourishing feelings of worthiness, wholeness and well-being, offering knowledge to help others make their own decisions as well as nurturing self-confidence and self-reliance.
- Our services are designed in partnership with each person to ensure congruence with unique needs, preferences, beliefs and culture.
- Momentum and the individual/family are partners in all service processes. The engagement of the customer is essential.
Assessments,services, service delivery and outcome evaluation are strengths based.
- Customer choice is the driving value in design, delivery and evaluation of services.
Everyone is treated as a valued customer: those receiving services, their families and significant others, payors, donors and the community at large.
- Commitments to provide services are realistic and describe what can and cannot be provided, including a projection of the impact of services.
- Services are designed to provide information, access and experiences to support each person’s ability to make his/her own decisions and choices in life.
- We attend to how we use language to ensure what we say supports Momentum beliefs.
SERVICES ARE DESIGNED TO PROMOTE THE ATTAINMENT OF INCREASED SELF-EFFICACY FOR EVERY INDIVIDUAL:
- To assist customers to create and maintain a lifestyle that will help to sustain wellness.
- To assist each customer to take control and responsibility for his/her own life.
- To nurture development of family, social supports and a peer/identity community that can be essential elements of recovery.
- To support development or regaining of an active sense of self, exercise of free will, exercise of options and choices that are in alignment with personal values, goals and hopes.
- To help the community change its perception of individuals who have a diagnosis and remove the barriers to full participation.
INNOVATION AND ACCOUNTABILITY:
- We evaluate outcomes and use the findings to continuously improve service.
- The goal of every service is to make a difference for customers in areas they value.
- We evaluate clinical activities/programs to determine if they meet customer need.
- We do pilot projects to test new and changing treatment strategies, algorithms and processes. Those that prove efficacious are integrated into service delivery.
- We maintain a variety of services so customers have choices in types of service.
- We do not believe any one approach is appropriate or effective for all customers.
- We consider clients receiving services, their families and significant others, payors, donors and the community at large to be customers of Momentum.